In-Vitro Dermatological Testing
In-vitro safety dermatological testing is recommended prior to human clinical trials to evaluate product safety. Product manufacturers are responsible for determining personal care product safety and efficacy. Safety assessment experts can help determine if appropriate and sufficient data on proposed formulations is available or if additional toxicological evaluations need to be conducted. Several validated in-vitro methods are available for determining all relevant forms of dermatological toxicity including:
- Dermal irritation
- Skin sensitization
- Ocular irritation
Once formulation safety is established with in-vitro methods, manufacturers must confirm product performance with clinical studies. During this time, foundational skin studies may also be considered to include clinical responses from different skin types (e.g., oily, dry, mature, sensitive, etc.). Good Clinical Practices use ethically developed trials with human volunteers to confirm product efficacy and are excellent in evaluating product performance and real-world safety outcomes. Clinical assessments evaluate acute and cumulative dermal irritation and skin sensitization outcomes in addition to product performance.
Dermatological in-vitro safety testing and clinical trials, taken together, lead to well-substantiated product claims that are key to ensuring your product’s success.
CPT has state-of-the-art analytical, microbiological, clinical, photobiology, and in-vitro toxicology testing laboratories, all of which are at your disposal in the determining of product safety, efficacy and efficiency.
Using our specialized departments and well-respected lab facility, we test a wide range of products at CPT. Our in-house experts offer guidance to determine the efficacy of your products while ensuring compliance and accommodating your budgetary concerns.
Understanding the steps to proper in-vitro dermatological testing is crucial to the success of a product in the marketplace. Rigorous testing conducted by an experienced laboratory can provide you with the answers you seek.
Based on the individual needs of our clients, we offer a wide range of support across various departments. Since initial product testing can be fairly complex in terms of a high-quality, safe and trusted product, our clients typically explore the benefits of numerous departments and areas of expertise, including:
- Clinical —Efficacy trials can be performed for safety, consumer in-use, and to support claims, such as ‘dermatologist-tested’ and ‘ophthalmologist-tested.’
- In-Vitro Safety — Our in-vitro safety department assists clients when they are looking to perform non-animal or animal-free toxicology testing.
- Microbiology — Microbial contamination and preservative testing is key to cosmetic products.
- Photobiology —From SPF and Water Resistant claims to PhotoAllergy and Phototoxicity studies, CPT is the world leader in sunscreen testing.
- Analytical — From raw materials, batch release, and stability shelf-life testing to “free-of” and low-level detection claims, our analytical department ensures that all requirements are met based on industry standards.